Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Shel Silverstein will always have my heart

No matter how many times you tell people that majoring in Communication is not majoring in English, people will insist that your major, is in fact, english.  I have a hard time arguing this because I'm not entirely sure what I do specifically study, so sometimes it's easier to say "yeah, it's just like english."  But thank God it is not, because as I'm sure you've noticed, I am utterly awful with grammar.  I'm rather hopeless in all categories really.  But in asking you about you're apparent love of English, they will ask "what is your favourite book?" or "what author inspires you most?"  ((disclaimer: at some point in college someone will pretentiously ask you what your favourite book is, this doesn't just go for Comm/ English majors))  At this point in time you will have to make a decision, either tell them the truth, or lie your ass off in an attempt to look like your degree is doing its job.  I usually go with the later, I'll say something about how "The Kite Runner" was filled with passion and redemption, and don't get me wrong, I loved that book.  But if I'm totally honest with myself, no book will ever beat "The Giving Tree".  Yes, I know that this is a book aimed at children, but it is, and forever will be, my favourite book.  I guess this is indicative of my major.  Short, sweet, and very repetitive.
 
And the Communication Major was happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment